Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

16 April 2012

from Andy Matthews

Jon was my best friend.  We met in our first term at Oxford and he was
easily the coolest kid I'd ever encountered.  I was enormously impressed that he'd
had to decide whether to come to Oxford in the first place or stay with his
beloved band, the London Boys.  He had enormous charisma, and the best
record collection you could ever wish to listen to.  We did discos
together, inter-railed round Europe together, studied together (which
mainly consisted of me trying to copy his elegant and well constructed essays),
went on demonstrations together, and played a lot of pool.  He was always
at the very epicentre of the in crowd and he always made sure I was
included in whatever was going on.  I half expected someone so  cool and so
clever to have an unpleasant edge, but the opposite was true.  He was kind,
supportive and generous.  He also had a beautiful relationship with his
lovely family and my thoughts will always be with them.

Our lives developed in parallel and we stayed close throughout.  I saw him
a week before he died and we discussed everything from our wonderful
children, to going to Arsenal together, to the relative merits of Donny
Hathaway and Marvin Gaye.  I knew little of his brilliant career, such was
his modesty - to me he was just my brilliant friend with whom I went to see
Booker T and the MG's.  I miss him terribly, but I am grateful to have had
such a wonderful person play a significant role in my life - and my life is
all the richer for it.  Jon was my guide, my support, my sounding board, my
conscience and above all my dear, dear friend.  He lives on in our
memories, and he is particularly vivid in mine.