Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

4 December 2011

from Gaia Scerif

Jon and I met for the first time in 2000, when I started working with Annette Karmiloff-Smith. I explained that the developmental processes I was most interested in were changes in attentional control, and Annette's immediate suggestion for a PhD co-supervisor was Jon. I knew that I was privileged when he agreed given his elegant contributions to the field of attention, but meeting him in person was "something else". Within minutes of discussing a potential experiment, he would point out what would or would not work (as I discovered when I was stubborn enough not to listen) and would deliver all this in the most soft-spoken stream of flawless thoughts. I spent most meetings trying very hard to keep up, mainly failing, and that time was intellectually precious to me. He topped this with great support and career advice, but Jon was also really funny: at a recent seminar here in Oxford he presented the most impressive cutting-edge neuroscientific findings and accompanied them all with the dead-pan statement "At heart I am just a cognitive psychologist". I did a double-take and wrote that down. But what remains most vivid for me is the kind man. His warmest wishes when my son was born reminded me that the only time he stopped my ramblings during supervision was to say "Ok, now I have to go and pick up my son". The loss of Jon seems unfathomable. I hope that celebrating his life through all our memories will bring some solace to his family as well as to us all.