Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

1 December 2011

from Simon Baron-Cohen

The news of Jon's death has left me deeply shocked and upset. Jon was a very kind man. We met as young lecturers in Cambridge. I'm sure I was not the only one who was drawn to him because of the mischievous twinkle in his eye. One day in the late 90s he knocked on my office door and said he was taken by the idea that gaze could cue attention and invited me to collaborate on an experiment. I got to see how for him experiments were fun, a form of play, where his sharp eye for detail and experimental design led to quick answers to subtle questions. When he moved to UCL I missed his wry smiles in staff meetings. Whenever I bumped into him at the ICN his magnetic mischievousness was infectious and attractive. He always made time to ask how the family was. Last time I saw him was in the foyer of the BA and he remembered that we both shared a passion for playing bass guitar. He said we should have a stand-off, that old twinkle in his eye, and when I looked puzzled, he lurched into playing his air guitar, playfully challenging me. The pomp and ceremony of the place didn't stop him having fun. His academic contribution to our field was huge, but what he brought into every interaction was a very direct sincerity that leaves a deep mark.