Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

5 December 2011

from Paola Ricciardelli

Jon's death was terrible and very upsetting news. It came as a great shock to me.  I have found it difficult to put down in words my feelings, memories and thoughts.

I met him when he was still at Cambridge University.  I got his name from my undergraduate tutor (prof. Edoardo  Bisiach). I wrote  to Jon asking whether I could spend  six months in his lab as part of  my postgraduate training. I wanted to study in the UK  and I was fascinated  by neuropsychology. He welcomed me into his lab at Birkeck College in London, he was kind and supportive. I did not leave after six months; instead I had the great opportunity to do my PhD with him as a supervisor and I spent several years in his lab at ICN.  At ICN several other Italian people joined the lab (what I like to call "the Italian contingent") and Jon liked to joke about it.

I remembered very clearly that when I arrived he asked me what subject I was interested in studying and he explained to me his ongoing lines of research. I was struck by his gaze cueing study and since then  I have not stopped doing research on gaze.  He was very busy but his teaching was superb and his advice was always sharp and wise. Watching him writing papers and grants was just like watching magic. He had a natural gift for it and was a genius. I also remember a bass guitar amplifier which he kept in a corner of his office, but in particular, I remember  his favourite armchair which he had kept in his office for a long time.  He used to sit on it to discuss experimental results, or papers. I'm very proud to have had him as a
supervisor. Those years have defined not only my professional life but also my personal life. I owed Jon a lot: he was a sensitive person as well as a great scientist, I will never forget him. He loved his family a lot and my thoughts and my condolences now go to Nilli and his sons. Thank you, Jon.