Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

2 December 2011

from Rosalyn Lawrence

I became ICN Secretary in July 1998, housed on the third floor of Alexandra House and Jon at that time was a group leader, housed on the first floor.  If a call for him came through to me, I had to run down to the first floor to let him know because he was very delinquent about answering his phone. I was rather annoyed at times – ICN is a busy place. But I always forgave him.  I soon realised that Jon was one of those rather annoying people you just can’t help liking.  In 2004 another dear friend, Tim Shallice, stood down as Director and Jon became his successor.  This changeover coincided with the devastating loss of my partner of 27 years.  I wondered how I would cope.  Jon took me completely by surprise, not only with the wisdom of his counsel but the unexpected warmth of his friendship.  Jon steered me towards recovery and I shall always remember him for that.  Of Jon, the intellectual icon, I am not competent to comment because I have very little science background, although I am aware that his achievement was colossal.  The Jon to whom I was so endeared was the man who once sat through the whole of his lab meeting, cuddling the new baby of one of his postdocs.  Despite the deep sadness I now feel, I know I shall always be immensely proud to have been of service to this aloof, remote, complicated, sensitive, kind-hearted man who so very much loved his wife, his sons, his parents and his sisters.  My thoughts are with them and the many friends he made, not only in Queen Square but throughout the world.