Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

2 December 2011

from Steffan Kennett

I had always wanted to be a teacher, until Jon became my undergraduate supervisor in 1994. The process of critiquing papers and designing experiments with him was intoxicating. His open, frank style encouraged me to voice ideas I should probably have been reluctant to. He provided feedback that cut straight to the point, yet also gave encouragement. I chose research, with Jon, because of that experience. He has been my teacher, my mentor, my advisor and my collaborator. My heart goes out to Nilli and their children.

Some disparate recollections:
- Using his collection of 12-inch records as a chin rest for a pilot study.
- Knowing a manuscript was close to submission when his annotations only covered a quarter of the page. We called it being “Drivered”.
- Driving a transit van across London with him after he and Nilli sold me my first sofa and dining table.
- Expecting deep insight whenever his questions began: “This is a naïve question, but…”.
- Stumbling across a music press review of The London Boys while using his amplifier as stumps for “lab cricket”.
- Fish and chips at “London’s best chippy” whenever the lab had a visitor to impress.
- His ability to persuade myself and others.