Jon Driver died suddenly on 28th November 2011. Jon was a wonderful individual; a loving son, husband, father and brother; and an irreplaceable friend and colleague.

This is a place for everyone who knew Jon to share our memories of him and through this to help celebrate his life.

If you would like to add a description of your memories of Jon to this blog please contact g.rees@ucl.ac.uk with the text you would like posted. We welcome any contribution, from short snippets to longer pieces. Please bear in mind this is a place to remember Jon and to help celebrate his life.

As well as this blog, there is also a photograph album to which friends and colleagues are most welcome to contribute. If you would like to add one or more pictures please email it/them to g.rees@ucl.ac.uk

2 December 2011

from Jason Mattingley

I worked with Jon as a post-doc in the mid-1990s, back in the days  
when he was a lecturer in Cambridge.

Those were the golden days. Jon’s entire lab consisted of just six people – three post-docs and three graduate students. Back then it was possible to spend the better part of an entire day talking to Jon about experiments or some exciting new data. One could even share a pint with him, one on one, to celebrate the acceptance of a paper.

I have two anecdotes that sum up my memories of Jon:

The first occurred on a September day in 1994. I arrived in Jon’s office for a meeting, and he immediately suggested we escape to the roof of the Craik-Marshall Building on the Downing Site. The stated motivation was to avoid interruptions from his office phone, but I suspect he really wanted to sit in the sunshine. Having recently arrived from a much warmer climate in Australia, I wasn’t going to argue. Over the next two hours we thrashed out ideas for experiments that were to form the basis of three years’ worth of research, and that effectively kick-started my career. Amongst his many talents, Jon was a great catalyst for ideas.

The second memory comes from the Attention and Performance meeting in Erice, Sicily, that I attended in the summer of 2002. Predictably, Alitalia had lost my suitcase, so for four days I had no clothes other than those in which I had arrived. When I told Jon this, he dragged me back to his hotel and insisted I take two pairs of his boxer shorts. At first I hesitated, but realising I had no other option I accepted, and for the next four days I minced around the conference in Jon’s slightly-too-tight underwear. Amongst his many personal qualities, Jon was generous to a fault.

After I returned to Australia we saw less of each other, but we always kept in touch and I counted him as a friend as well as a colleague.

My heartfelt condolences to Nilli and the boys. Jon, you will never be forgotten.